Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: DoSomething opportunity
From: Al Gilman <asgilman @ access . digex . net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 19:17:06 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: spam @ zorch . sf-bay . org, Harald . T . Alvestrand @ uninett . no

  To follow up on what Harald .
 T .
 Alvestrand @
 uninett .
 no said ...
<discussing security problems with mailto: URLs...>
    Al Gilman:
    > Most of what you have to worry about is mail-client-generic and
    > should be handled by a reference by title to whatever the mail
    > security group tells us.
Harald Alvestrand:
    Oops - no such group.....I would like to have one, though; DRUMS
    isn't supposed to write very much new prose, so it doesn't cut it.
    Volunteers?

Folks,

>From time to time I have heard complaints about [WebVendor]
putting SpamEngines on every desktop on the globe.

In the quote above <Harald .
 T .
 Alvestrand @
 uninett .
 no> asks for
volunteers to formulate an IETF position on how a WebTool should
handle a "Mailto:" URL so as not to exploit nor amplify the
SecurityHoles in Internet Mail.

I stronly recommend that people with an interest in the Email
side of the Internet answer this call.  This is pretty much the
call-to-arms that Norbert was looking for.  Harald's is the right
ear to get, to start the ball rolling for an IETF WG or whatever
it takes.

The IETF is the right vehicle to define practices that we can
start pressuring [WebVendor]s to follow.

I will be in touch with Harald to try to make sure something
happens.  You can get in touch with him or stay in touch with me.

Al Gilman
asgilman @
 access .
 digex .
 net	http://access.digex.net/~asgilman/

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: [no subject]
From: ravioli @ ix . netcom . com
Next: Re: DoSomething opportunity
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Indexed By Thread Previous: [no subject]
From: ravioli @ ix . netcom . com
Next: Re: DoSomething opportunity
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>