Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: DoSomething opportunity
From: Keith Moore <moore @ cs . utk . edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 16:06:37 -0500
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, spam @ zorch . sf-bay . org, moore @ cs . utk . edu

> I'm skeptical that much can be done.  I'm working on another front:
> trying to inform people that web netiquette requires that one never
> ever ever put up a mailto: address without express consent from the
> recipient at that address.

fine and good.  but netiquette is demonstrated to have scaling problems,
so it probably won't work as a solution by itself.

how about we (a) encourage the netiquette that you suggest, and (b)
encourage web browsers to include an extra header or two in any
message sent to a mailto URL that states (at least) the URL of
the web page that contained the mailto?

this would allow two things:

1) the person receiving all of the mail could complain to the referring
site and ask them to stop doing so (for the sake of good netiquette)

2) the person receiving all of the mail could filter it out based on
the presence of that extra header and its contents.

Keith