Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?
From: Elizabeth Thomsen <et @ clsn1102 . noble . mass . edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 18:29:28 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I like it when I see references to my lists on Web pages (for example,
Literature guides) with the subscription address changed to a mailto.
People using the mailto at least get the address right.  On a
semi-related matter, I have been careful over the past year to never post
the actual mailing address of any of my lists, listname @
 world .
 std .
 com,
because if people see this address, some number of them will send their
subscriptions there, and somone will pick up the posting or the
info file somewhere and include it on their Web site or in a FAQ or
guide, and software will convert it to a mailto.  I always refer to my
lists as just "Bronte" or "Trollope" or whatever with the full subscription
address as the only thing that looks like an e-mail address.

I also write all documentation about other lists in this format.  Saves a
lot of headaches, especially now with the FAQ's all being HTMLized with
mailto's.

Elizabeth Thomsen

Indexed By Date Previous: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?