Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?
From: Al Gilman <asgilman @ access . digex . net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 10:08:28 -0500 (EST)
To: artemis @ rahul . net (Michelle Dick)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Michelle,

Have you ever considered assigning each new person admitted to
the rolls an experienced "buddy," a Big Sister or Big Brother?
Assigning these in such a way as to stick to active posters and
not overload anyone is something that could be done automatically,
and I don't think that the active veterans would mind.

I have to admit I find your experience sobering, that no matter
what manner of instructions you wrap a MailTo: button in, people
will push the button and not read the instructions.  But that's
the American public, when I think of it.  I tend to agree with
you that mechanical fixes have a poor prognosis for some of these
problems.  That's what sends me looking for social approaches
like the "Buddy" method.

Al Gilman