Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?
From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:37:34 +0100
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 4:19 PM 11/26/95, Michelle Dick wrote:
>Brent wrote:
>> All the "-request" addresses here at GreatCircle.COM return a canned
>> information file explaining how to use Majordomo to fulfill the user's
>> request.  I therefore have no objection to folks listing our "-request"
>> addresses in "mailto:"; URLs.
>
>How about listing your "majordomo" address in mailto:'s without
>checking with you first?

They're welcome to; nobody human reads that address either...  :-)
However, what the users will get back is the standard Majordomo "help"
message, instead of the more friendly "here's how to subscribe and
unsubscribe" message from the "-request" robot.

>I didn't mean specifically the "-request" address, I meant the one
>that gets people subscribed -- whatever it is called.
>
>Of course, perhaps the day is nearing when we not only have to try
>very hard to keep not only our active posting address hidden, but also
>the active subscribe address, and every list will have to add an
>additional address layer just for info.  Hmmm.  In which case, a more
>natural name is something like: list-info @
 site .

I guess you could say that GreatCircle.COM already has that kind of setup...

        list            to post to the list
        list-request    to find out about the list (including how to subscribe)
        majordomo       to actually subscribe

-Brent

--
Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates  | For Firewalls Tutorial info:
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?