Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?
From: woods @ ncar . ucar . edu (Greg Woods)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 95 9:25:16 MST
To: asgilman @ access . digex . net (Al Gilman)
Cc: artemis @ rahul . net, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> what manner of instructions you wrap a MailTo: button in, people
> will push the button and not read the instructions.  But that's
> the American public, when I think of it.

It should go without saying, but in this day and age where it is fashionable
to bash Americans, I feel obligated to say this. We have a site in the U.S.
with a large number of foreign users, and I can say with confidence that
Americans hardly have a monopoly on cluelessness. These comments probably
apply equally well to anybody whose experience with the Internet consists
solely of running a Web browser and these types generally don't have the
slightest idea of how things really work, whether or not they happen to
be located within the U.S.

--Greg