Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: confirming a subscribe request, Re: FYI
From: ckk @ uchicago . edu
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 19:36:30 -0600
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Gail Winfred writes:
>I subscribe to a list that does a subscription check.  When you subscribe
>it returns an acknowledgement letter and asks that the subscriber to
>return a confirmation email within 48 hours and no mail is sent until the
>subscriber does this.  If a confirmation is not received in the specified
>time the subscription is cancelled and the subscriber has to resubscribe
>if he/she is valid.

First, I think that this "confirm before really subscribing" is going to have
to become the norm on the Internet, not just for Majordomo lists but for
anyone trying to stay sane as a list owner, anywhere except in very sheltered
private domains. This would be more appropriate for discussion on the
List-managers list, so I have cc'ed it there and I suggest that followups be
moved only on to the list-managers list (list-managers-request @
 greatcircle .
 com)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Netiquette of mailto: URLs?