Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

From: Project Genesis <genesis @ j51 . com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:30:05 -0500
To: majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm not certain that this thread should be taken off of majordomo-workers,
because if someone is going to volunteer the necessary code, it will
probably be written for majordomo.

In any case, for our organization this is a real need.  We run a series of
over 10 inter-related lists - each subscriber signs up for some subset.
Many/most of our subscribers join from our Web site - meaning that they type
in their own email addresses.  This is an open invitation for members of AOL
and CompuServe to demonstrate that they haven't yet figured out the
differences between the commercial services and the Internet, or that they
are simply clueless.  Give me a dollar for each malformed address, and...

But on the other hand, I once signed up for a list (Patrick Crispen's
ROADMAP, early last year) that had a subscription key, and I blew the
deadline and had to do it again.  I have this strange feeling that this
would hurt our subscriptions.  A lot.  And we do _want_ subscribers (for the
most part).

I would like to see majordomo check for a bounce on the welcome message, and
auto-delete at that point - perhaps by providing a number key in the header.
_That_ doesn't sound too hard.  And then majordomo could tell the spammed
user, "If you did not intend to subscribe to this list, please reply to this
message.  Ensure that the reply contains your key, #123456."

This doesn't strike me as too difficult to code, but I'm not the one to do
it. Any ideas?

Ken Menken

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: oh no! More mailing list -request spams!