Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

From: Al Gilman <asgilman @ access . digex . net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:45:48 -0500 (EST)
To: genesis @ j51 . com (Project Genesis)
Cc: majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

  From: Project Genesis <genesis @
 j51 .
 com>
  Subject: Re: Subscription Confirmations

  But on the other hand, I once signed up for a list (Patrick Crispen's
  ROADMAP, early last year) that had a subscription key, and I blew the
  deadline and had to do it again.  I have this strange feeling that this
  would hurt our subscriptions.  A lot.  And we do _want_ subscribers (for the
  most part).

  I would like to see majordomo check for a bounce on the welcome message, and
  auto-delete at that point - perhaps by providing a number key in the header.
  _That_ doesn't sound too hard.  And then majordomo could tell the spammed
  user, "If you did not intend to subscribe to this list, please reply to this
  message.  Ensure that the reply contains your key, #123456."

NoWay should an UnDo require a key.

This scheme is too demanding of the unwitting victim.
Need to make that bloke's life easier than this version does.

Do people have experience with using a dedicated mailbox for such
transactions?  Like "forward this message just as you got it to
majordomo-undo @
  .
  .
  .
  to cancel this transaction.  If you have any
questions about what is going on, send any message at all to
GarbageDelivery-request @
  .
  .
  .
   for further instructions."

[I selected forward rather than reply with a bit of trepidation.
Low-skill users are more likely to succeed in getting the body
of the received message included or attached to a forward than
a reply.  I never would have guessed this, but I have had to
teach people how to include received text in a reply message,
by email, not having a copy of their LAN MailTool on my desk to
play with!]

The fact that one has to address mail to the tool and not a
list-mnemonic address for administrative activity never has
appealed to me as a friendly user interface.

Al Gilman