Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Bouncy Bouncy routine
From: alan @ znyx . com (Alan Deikman)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 95 09:53:38 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I suspect this topic has been covered before, but I must have
missed it.  If so, forgive the re-hash.

My main list is up to about 1100 members now, and each posting
generates between 10-30 bounce messages.  It's hard to tell, since
many messages get replicated, or don't come back for three days.

Anyway, I finally got around to pruning the list of supposedly
"invalid" e-mail addresses (it's a chore to even FIND the right
address in a bounce message -- but that's another story) and
guess what?   About 50% of the "pruned addresses" resulted in
a subscriber e-mailing back "hey, why was I unsubscribed?"

In other words, I am getting bounce messages for mail that was
*also* delivered, and of course the recipient doesn't have
a clue unless I complain.  Is this the same experience the rest
of you have?   How do you sort true invalid addresses from
semi-true addresses which also deliver?  Or should we even
care?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

  Alan Deikman, ZNYX Corporation
  alan @
 znyx .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subscription Confirmations