Subject: Re: Paydirt
From: Paul Haas <paulh @ hamjudo . com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 12:48:31 -0400 (EDTO)
To: Project Genesis <genesis @ j51 . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Project Genesis wrote:

> Let's be honest. We don't want to attempt legal action - either variety -
> when we can solve the problem ourselves. Let's warn him first, and then
> pursue more convincing means if necessary. Anyone want to write the warning?

Don't speak for me.  I do want to help pursue legal action.  I'll happily
donate $20 to the "AOL legal offense fund", if they choose to set one up.
If they want friend of the court briefs, I'll help write one.

If we go and physically beat him up, we can't tell anyone or we go to
jail.  So the next spammer won't learn.  If we use legal action, we can
tell the world.

The magazine spammer is indirectly working for large companies to sell
their magazine subscriptions.  Large corporations respond to legal
action.  Once we have a successfull test case, we can say to Hearst
corporation, "someone is using illegal means to sell your products,
please help us shut him down".

--
Paul Haas, paulh @
 hamjudo .