Subject: New manager's woes
From: Sandra Hollin Flowers <flowers_s @ Mercer . EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 02:43:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: List Managers List <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

	Early this year I got into the list-management business and am now
managing one completely silent list and another which has just completed
the process of defining itself. Because these are private lists, I
haven't experienced the kinds of problems (e.g., spamming and Usenet
forwarding) which I've been reading about during the two or three weeks
I've been lurking on this list as a new subscriber. Mind you, I'm not
yearning for those problems and don't envy those of you who have them :).
However, I hope that in your collective experience you can help me with
two problems I **am** having.

	First, one of my lists has, as I say, fallen completely silent.
Since it's about technology and teaching, there is plenty to say, but no
one seems to want to say it. Have any of you faced a situation like
this--great enthusiasm and a rapid wave of subscribers when the list was
announced followed by sudden death? What do you do? "Entertain" them
yourselves (for, indeed, that's what I began to feel as though I was
doing) with weekly posts? I've tried everything from surveys and
"editorials" to raising what I thought were provocative issues. All to
little or no avail. Now I myself no longer post, and it's as though the
list does not exist. Insights?

	My other list is a 30-member manual operation--that is, the
mailing list exists on 30 different computers operating a variety of email
and communications software.  This list is a core group which volunteered
to set the parameters for a public list. We're now ready to go public. We
intend to keep the subscription level at about 100, and, if the present 30
are any indication, it will be a low-traffic list. My own institution's
server can accommodate the list I described above, but not this second
one. My question, then, is how does one go about finding a server for a
homeless list?

Sandra in Maconga