Subject: Important (off-topic) FYI
From: Jack Schnapper <jjflash @ pobox . com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 19:40:22 -0400
To: List Managers List <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Someone on one of my lists posted this info and I thought that I should pass
it on to all of you.  Please forgive the off-topic use of bandwidth.

>     Here is some useful info for those of you that may travel with a
>     laptop computer:
>
>     F.Y.I.
>
>     Tom Godbout
>     Division of Administrative Services
>     --------------------------------------
>
>     The University of Michigan Risk Management Office cautions travelers
>     about the potential theft of laptop computers at airports:  We have
>     recently learned of a hustle that's being employed at airports all
>     across the country to steal laptop computers.  It involves two persons
>     who look for a victim carrying a laptop and approaching a metal
>     detector.  They position themselves in front of the unsuspecting
>     passenger. They stall until the mark puts the laptop computer on the
>     conveyer belt.  Then the first subject moves through the metal
>     detector easily.  The second subject sets off the detector and begins
>     a slow process of emptying pockets, removing jewelry, etc. While this
>     is happening, the first subject takes the laptop as soon as it appears
>     on the conveyor belt and moves away quickly. When the passenger
>     finally gets through the metal detector, the laptop is gone.  The
>     subject that picks it up heads into the gate area and disappears among
>     the crowd.  Sometimes a third subjectwill take a handoff from the
>     first subject and the computer is out of the restricted area before
>     the mark even knows that it is gone.
>
>     This is becoming a widely practiced problem and is happening at
>     airports everywhere.  When traveling with a laptop computer, try to
>     avoid lines to enter a metal detector when possible.  When you can't
>     do that, delay putting your luggage and laptop on the conveyor belt
>     until you are sure that you will be the nexperson through the metal
>     detector.  As you move through the metal detector, keep your eyes on
>     the conveyor belt and watch for your luggage and laptop to come
>     through, as well as watching for what those in front of you are
>     picking up.
>
>     Above message provided by George Cubberly, University of Michigan Risk
>     Management Office, and forwarded by the BTG, Inc. Security Service
>     Center.

Jack

Jack Schnapper
jjflash @
 pobox .
 com
Kajor Inc. - Computer Services
http://www.pobox.com/~kajor

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: he's at it again (Approved99 @ aol . com)
From: Robbie Honerkamp <robbie @ shorty . com>
Next: He's home.
From: Project Genesis <genesis @ j51 . com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: List-Managers-Digest V5 #93