Subject: Re: AOL free accounts
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 08:16:35 -0400
To: Todd Day <today @ di . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 8:13 PM  -0700 5/9/96, Todd Day wrote:

> If KK was forced to use *verifiable* credit card numbers, at least a
> good paper trail could be started.  If he used false numbers, he could
> get nailed on credit card fraud alone - I would think that would be an
> easier case to win, given the level of judicial ignorance of the net.

	It is my understanding that the registration process is already
being changed to verify credit card numbers on-the-fly with credit
bureaus and services.

	I've been trying to get them to add a $50-100 charge to an
account when it is terminated with cause, so that we can make the
credit card companies start considering this stuff seriously, and
take what is a "What the hell, it's free and they can't do anything
to me" into a "If I do this and intentionally screw with people,
there will be real-world financial repercussions" type of situation.

	If you like this idea (of have any other suggestions on what we
should do to stop this kind of abuse), I recommend you drop a note to
SteveCase @
 aol .
 com, which has a whole team of folks that read and
reply to suggestions both by members and people outside of AOL.
Internal suggestions (like mine) can only go so far, but significant
support for the same idea from the outside can only help that kind of
cause.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .