Subject: Quiet lists
From: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 11:08:53 -0300 (ADT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

From: Sandra Hollin Flowers <flowers_s @
 Mercer .

> First, one of my lists has, as I say, fallen completely silent.

I'm sure many of us are used to this, but I might point out to Sandra
that it is a common "problem". In fact, I've had a couple of lists where
there was such a flurry of activity that everyone started screaming for
digests or some other solution, and then after I went to the trouble of
setting up digests or other alternative lists, the traffic fell to one
message a week or less! To top it off, a couple of people on one list
complained that weekly digests weren't up-to-date, they wanted daily
digests, even though there was almost never more than one message per day.

I write "problem" in quotes because I think that the Golden Rule of
mailing list membership is, "If you don't have anything to say,
don't say it."

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Section, Bedford Institute of Oceanography,
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2, Tel. (902)426-1577

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: AOL free accounts