Subject: good net.citizenship - fighting spammers
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 10:32:11 -0500 (CDT)
To: SteveCase @ aol . com
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Hello.

In addition to being a typical moderate-to-heavy
email and usenet news user, I also manage a couple
of mailing lists.  So I see an above-average number
of spams and attempts.

A number of these seem to come via aol.com - of late
"Krazy Kevin" has used AOL quite a bit.  I realize you
are trying hard to stop this, but I think you are
playing a losing game for now.

Why?  Because (a) it's too easy to join AOL, and
(b) there is no penalty for abuse.

I understand why you want to make it easy to join
AOL.  I have no problem with that.  The trick is
to make it easy only for *legitimate* users.  An
acquaintance came up with what sounds to me like
the perfect idea - a combination of prior approval
and a charge for abuse.  Stores everywhere have
instant credit card approval - that part I know
you can provide.  But beyond that, simply change
the user agreement to state that if the user is
terminated for abuse (spams, harassment, etc),
that part of that termination is an additional
charge on the credit card.  I suggest something
like this:

$500 - first abuse by a user (any card)
$2500 - second abuse by a user (any card)
$5000 - third abuse by a user (any card)

Further abuses will result in legal action.

This not only provides a disincentive for abuse,
but if you do have to take legal action, you have
something tangible to show in terms of prior
history.

Please consider this and let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Miles O'Neal
President
Schober O'Neal, Inc.
meo @
 schoneal .
 com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL free accounts