Subject: Re: List-Managers-Digest V5 #96
From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter @ jurai . net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 15:17:35 -0500 (CDT)
To: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Todd Day wrote:
> Hmmmm...  from what I've heard and read (and even maybe read on this
> list) was that AOL's CC verification doesn't *really* verify the card
> for a period up to 24 hours after the account is created.  If I'm
> uninformed about this, I apologize to AOL.

I'm not sure how AOL does it, but its fairly common for front line
credit card verification to consist of verifying the checksum of the
card number.  The checksum generates the final digit of the card
and is usually used in hopes of keeping people from putting down random
numbers as a card number.

I would be more concerned about AOL closing the holes that allow
various programs like AOHell to work.  I've not looked at these, but
it seems that there is a very serious problem if determined spammers
can open new accounts just by running some program.

Most of the lists I'm on don't allow postings from non-subscribers so
I've not seen alot for the KK problems.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter @
 jurai .
 net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd @
 intersurf .
 net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|