Subject: Moving lists (was "...*big-time* help!")
From: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 07:36:49 -0300 (ADT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Oliver raises an issue which I think merits comment. Moving a list by
just copying the subscriber addresses from one site to another is in my
opinion a dangerous practice. It is far better to tell all the
subscribers to resubscribe at the new address. A bit of a hassle
perhaps, but it clears out the deadwood and you avoid this problem of
people trying to unsubscribe at the old address.

Email addresses are remarkably persistent. Someone moved a list from
this site in January 1994, and we are still getting administrative
messages sent to it in May 1996. I've had to deal with angry calls to
senior management here because people couldn't get of the new list by
sending their messages here! So I think this type of unhappy message is
an avoidable problem that can be avoided by not moving lists in this way.

Bill Silvert

>Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 22:45:48 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Oliver Garfield <oliver @
 panix .
 com>

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Section, Bedford Institute of Oceanography,
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2, Tel. (902)426-1577

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: (Fwd) Re: New list member needs *big-time* help!!!!!