Subject: Re: Moving lists (another tack FYI)
From: dick @ ccnext . ucsf . edu (Dick Karpinski)
Date: Sun, 12 May 96 23:07:49 -0700
To: asgilman @ access . digex . net, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, listelves @ austin . sig . net

On Sun, 12 May, Brock Rozen <brozen @
 netvoyage .
 net> wrote:
>On Sat, 11 May 1996, Bill Silvert wrote:
>
>> Oliver raises an issue which I think merits comment. Moving a list by
>> just copying the subscriber addresses from one site to another is in my
>> opinion a dangerous practice. It is far better to tell all the
>> subscribers to resubscribe at the new address. A bit of a hassle
>> perhaps, but it clears out the deadwood and you avoid this problem of
>> people trying to unsubscribe at the old address.
>
>A better solution would be to program a <simple? should be for somebody
>who knows perl> perl program that would grep the subscription list and
>create an output that would run each address through a simple subscribe
>program.
>
>This would not only take out the deadbeat addresses VERY quickly, but
>would generate a new welcome file for each subscriber.

If you subscribe for them, then you still have to use confirmation, so
you still have made life difficult for them.  You might as well just
bulk subscribe them and separately MAIL them a copy of the NEW
IMPROVED welcome message.  Those that bounce can easily be removed from
the list, since the bouncing copies do contain specific addresses.

Still, this will not remove those whose email disappears without a
trace.  Only user initiated resubscription or owner initiated renewal
with user feedback can hope to clean out the addresses that point to
black holes.  Such a mechanism is available in LISTSERV, but not in
Majordomo, I think.  I don't know about others.  This program, i.e.
one to simulate LISTSERV style renewal confirmation is fairly easy to
write, so let me know if you want one.  It helps if you have a mailing
address to spare for just renewal confirmations.

Dick

Dick Karpinski   dick @
 itsa .
 ucsf .
 edu   http://www.ucsf.edu/~dick

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Moving lists (was "...*big-time* help!")