Subject: Re: AOL free accounts
From: jcanterbury @ us . ibm . com
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 12:42:00 EDT
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @
 graphics .
 cornell .
 edu> wrote:

>>  I repeat if spamming is such a problem and I may see one spam in
>>a thousand messages.. then the list should be moderated.
>
>I guess you missed the note the other day that if you moderate it you
>take legal responsibility for the content.  Who needs that?

Actually, I saw that post and didn't say anything at the time, but now
I can't resist....

Not to knock the original poster, but on what basis does a moderator take
legal responsibility for the contents of such a post?

Also, would it not be possible to (a) publish your moderating criteria
so that it's very clear that you are not editting for content, and/or
(b) add a disclaimer to each approved post that the views reflect those
of the poster and not necessarily those of the moderator?  I've seen
this in at least one newsgroup.

Jerry Canterbury, Buckeye Consulting
Internet: jcanterbury @
 us .
 ibm .
 com or jcanterb @
 worldweb .
 net
** "It is an honor to meet the best band in the world."      **
**  -- Dan Akroyd to the Ohio State University Marching Band **

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL free accounts