Subject: Moderation and Liability
From: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 15:33:09 -0300 (ADT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

>Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Gary E. Bickford" <garyb @
 outlawnet .
 com>

>Legal precedent has been established (somebody vs. prodigy, and others)
>As soon as you touch submissions, you're an editor.  Prodigy got off the hook
>only by showing that their only involvement was an automated filter that looked
>for keywords.

It would be nice to learn more about this. I think that most of the
software we use for managing lists functions like Majordomo, in that
questionable mail gets bounced to the list manager for approval even if
the list is not moderated. The purpose of course is just to block
administrative trivia like subscription requests, but it does mean that
the list manager may see some of the legitimate postings before they go
out. I assume that this would fit through the Prodigy loophole, but it
would be nice to know more about this.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Section, Bedford Institute of Oceanography,
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2, Tel. (902)426-1577

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL free accounts