Subject: Re: Mail from AOL will need manual approval (fwd)
From: Paul Hoffman <paulh @ imc . org>
Date: Sun, 19 May 1996 11:18:31 -0700
To: "Jason A. Dour" <jad @ bcc . louisville . edu>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>This came through on the Majordomo-Users list...  Looks like someone
>actually has started denying service for AOL.COM.

I think you misread the message. The listowner is not denying service, he's
delaying it until he reads it to be sure it is not a spam. On the other
hand, if you know Harald, you know that this might not be instant. :-)

>KK has now begun to deny service from this site for *all* of your
>subscribers, AOL.

No, Harald and others like him have begun to filter service for their
mailing lists and delay postings to their mailing lists. This is definitely
a negative, but not much of one.

>Getting close to denying AOL.COM,

If you do this, you are going much further than the person whom you quote
in the included message.

For the other people on listmanagers that don't know Harald Alvestrand,
he's one of the two IETF area directors for applications (meaning, in part,
mail protocols). He likes hacks, and he knows Internet mail transport
better than almost anyone. He also is not a US resident; you can imagine
how well he deals with US-centric views of the Internet and their effects
on the global internet.

Indexed By Date Previous: archive of spam-defense posts