Subject: Re: Help! Compuserve Contact
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ netvoyage . net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 18:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Sarah L. Green" <greens @ cici . com>
Cc: list-managers @ miles . GreatCircle . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Sarah L. Green wrote:

> 	Basically a subscriber (based on Compuserve) to the mailing list
> 	has a full mailbox, and postmaster @
 compuserve .
 com is sending a
> 	"can not deliver" message to the mailing list for each message it
> 	receives for the specified account.  Of course since the full
> 	mailbox is a subscriber, it is now a vicious cycle.  At last
> 	count, I believe it has been 300+ messages to each subscriber
> 	in 24 hours.  Which should qualify this as a SPAM.

Not really, it qualifies it as an automated message telling the list-owner
that the user's mailbox is full. CIS has recently, for some weird reason,
started sending these messages directly to the list.

The solution to your problem is to remove the user from the list, which
should eventually kill this cycle.

More immediately you can moderate the list until the cycle ends. But the
above step will eventually kill it.

> 	While it is not my list so "technically" not my problem, can
> 	anybody help or give me some pointers to pass along?  According
> 	to the list owner, when she called compuserve's helpline, they
> 	basically said it was not their problem.

It isn't. It's your problem and your responsibility to remove any
subscriber you don't want. Meanwhile CIS is not in the wrong by sending
messages that say a certain user's mailbox is full. Their only wrong is
that they've recently changed it to send it to the list instead of just
the list-owner.

 | Brock Rozen | brozen @
 netvoyage .
 net | http://www.netvoyage.net/~brozen |
 | Check out my Auto-Reply System -- Send me mail with subject SEND HELP |