Subject: Re: Help! Compuserve Contact
From: Christopher Samuel <chris @ rivers . dra . hmg . gb>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 12:10:06 +0100
To: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <009A2AE5 .
 0CD13F38 .
 5 @
 sacto .
 mp .
 usbr .
 gov>,
	"Henry W. Miller" <henrym @
 sacto .
 mp .
 usbr .
 gov> writes:

> > Not really, it qualifies it as an automated message telling the list-owner
> > that the user's mailbox is full. CIS has recently, for some weird reason,
> > started sending these messages directly to the list.
>
> 	Well, this is is totally bogus - even lists that generate an:
> "Errots-To:" header?  I've not had a problem with Compuserve flooding my
> lists since I've used a mailer that generates these headers, otherwise
> I'd have serious doubts about even letting someone subscribe from these
> addresses.

But Errors-To: is not a standard header and should be ignored by an RFC
compliant mailer, and indeed Eric Alman writes in the release notes for
sendmail:

	The Errors-To: header violates RFC 1123.
	envelope sender in the days when most Unix mailers
	didn't understand about the two kinds of senders.

Chris
--
 Christopher Samuel,   Open Software Systems Group,   chris @
 rivers .