Subject: Re: Off list spats
From: Nigel Whitfield <nigel @ stonewall . demon . co . uk>
Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 09:33:17 GMT

In article <199605251821 .
 OAA01112 @
 access2 .
 digex .
 net>,
Al Gilman <asgilman @
 access .
 digex .
 net> wrote:

>3. Too many of the subscribers to list-managers think that they
>own "their" lists.

A lot of people do. In my case, over 1,000 pounds per year is spent
out of my own pocket to keep the list running.

>A more positive deal is that the participant
>group has some minimal level of self-organization and the
>list manager functions more nearly as trustee than as autocrat.

Well, that's what I attempt to do...

>I would actually suggest that you solicit your mailing list to
>see what the level of interest would be in forming a bylaws
>committee that would formalize the mutual responsibilities of
>list participants and the distinguished role of the list manager
>as a contract validated both by group and manager.

The current guidelines have been modified over time, and presented to
the group for discussion on a number of occassions. One the very rare
(twice in six years) times that someone has been removed from the
list, that's only been after requests from a significant proportion of
the membership, some of whom felt I should have acted quickly and
unilaterally.

Nigel.
--
Nigel Whitfield