Subject: Re: mega-bounces from ix.netcom.com?
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 19:48:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: Joe Smith <jms @ tardis . Tymnet . COM>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, jeffw @ triple-i . com

I know this is well over a month old, but I was catching up on email and
saw this and felt the urge to respond...

ix.netcom.com and netcom.com are two *separate* namespaces -
user @
 ix .
 netcom .
 com is not the same as user @
 netcom .
 com .
   I've seen
something like "user @
 ix3 .
 ix .
 netcom .
 com", which can probably safely be
reduced to "user @
 ix .
 netcom .
 com".

	Brian

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Joe Smith wrote:
> > I'm seeing all list subscribes that have accounts on
> > ix.netcom.com bouncing back as 'user unknown'.
>
> One of the cgi scripts I've inherited has the following:
>   $addr =~ tr/A-Z/a-z/;
>   ($user,$host) = $addr =~ /(.*)\@(.*)/;
>   $host = "netcom.com"  if $host =~ /ix.netcom.com$/;
>   $host = "prodigy.com" if $host =~ /prodigy.com$/;
>   $host = "aol.com"     if $host =~ /aol.com$/;
>
> The "ix.netcom.com" hosts are ppp hosts.
> 	-Joe

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Off list spats