Subject: mailers appending complete replied text
From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 10:07:03 -0600 (MDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

> One thing I have seen, to my consternation, is an increase in the number
> of replies wherein the mail program has (fairly obviously) automatically
> appended ALL of the original message to the reply.
>
> Which mail programs do this, and what is the way to turn off this
> behavior, so I can instruct people on my list to do so?  Thanks!

I see a lot of this at work and it's nothing but sheer laziness on the
part of the people responding: their mailer (usually Eudora on the Windows
boxes around here) throws up a quoted message just like your typical UNIX
mailer, and the user just keys in his response at the top of the message
without doing anything to the quoted text.  After three or four rounds of
this you're getting mail with five lines of new text and 150 lines of
quoted junk from the previous messages.  (Ooh, and it's all in reverse
reading order, newest-content-first -- I just *love* that.)

So here I go being autocratic again: my response to this in the past has
been to remind people that the list guidelines ask people to trim down
quoted responses as much as possible, and to warn the list that people who
don't follow those guidelines will be removed from the list.  If at that
point I got a "my mail program does it and I don't know why or how to make
it stop" *then* I would look into the mailer...but on first evidence of
the problem I wouldn't assume it was anything but sloppy behavior on the
part of the person sending the message.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: mailers appending complete replied text