From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 18:24:51 +0200
To: jmb @ FRB . GOV
Cc: mjb @ spitfire . cs . utah . edu, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

[Jonathan M. Bresler]

|   	ftp, web, mail. there are all net and disk intensive programs.
|   a *good* quality 586 will do fine. i would recommend against
|   linux. its networking and *synchronous* disk speed are not as fast
|   as FreeBSD. read the usenix96 paper by mary baker and kevin lai of
|   stanford
|   http://plastique.stanford.edu/~mgbaker/publications/usenix96.bench.ps
|   context switching will be critical as well.

Oh please. The Lai/Baker paper is very flawed, and can't be used to
argue either side. Linux and FreeBSD are both moving targets, and what
was true at Linux 1.2 is not true at Linux 2.0. The same can be said
about the last released FreeBSD version and -current, of course. The
VM and scheduler have had an overhaul/redesign. There's still a
problem with _large_ processes (active set larger than RAM), but
that's not a problem here.

Linux networking is _faster_ than SunOS (on the SPARC). Filling an
Ethernet is no problem, even on cheap hardware. I wouldn't call that
slow.

|   0ms means that the data is *not* on the disk. should something bad
|   happen the data is gone. ouch.

Well, Linux is (chiefly) developed in Europe, so we may be spoilt by
reliable power, but even in the US, it's just a small matter of buying
a UPS. They're cheap.

Kjetil T.