From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 09:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, Alan Czarnek wrote:

> This is a good question, I am under the impression that any work of any
> author is automatically copyrighted by that author (with or without the
> copyright notice) and publishing that work does not make it public
> domain.........

Per the Copyright FAQ, this is correct.

> However, once a message is sent to a public list or to the Usenet, it
> is difficult to withdraw it from circulation...

This is also correct.  With a publicly and electronicly distributed
article, it's impossible to un-publish the information.  One could remove
the data from the mailing list archives.  Off hand, removing one user from
the archives sounds like a pain in the butt project.  Unless there is some
compelling reason to honor the request, I'd tell the subscriber to get
over it.  Many people say things on the net which they regret later.

- murr -