From: David Lloyd-Jones <dlj @ pobox . com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 10:44:54 -0400 (EDT)
To: alancz @ ix . netcom . com (Alan Czarnek)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 05:35 AM 03/08/96 -0700, Alan Czarnek wrote:
>>I was under the impression that once you sent a message to be posted
>to a
>>list,  you lost the privacy and ownership of your thoughts in the same
>>manner one sends a letter to the editor of a newspaper.
>------
>
>This is a good question, I am under the impression that any work of any
>author is automatically copyrighted by that author (with or without the
>copyright notice) and publishing that work does not make it public
>domain.........

Alan's point about copyright is perfectly correct.  It is not, however,
clear what rights if any this copyright carries, beyond there being a
writer's monetary claim wrt any profitable reuse of the text.  I think the
Net is new news in this regard, and the courts, and maybe an International
Convention or two, will clarify this somewhat over the next ten years or so.

It does seem to me obvious that if I post messages about my lost cat on all
the telephone poles in town, the copyright in the messages is still mine;
this does not give me the right to demand that the telephone company clean
them all up.

                                -dlj.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: User wants to be removed from list archives