Subject: Reply from Compuserve
From: james @ sagarmatha . com (James C. Armstrong)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:44:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: 100272 . 3541 @ compuserve . com

A while back, I mentioned that I was forced to move Compuserve
subscribers on my mailing lists to digest format because of Compuserve's
lack of adherence to accepted Internet standards.  Although this did
upset several of my subscribers, I felt it was a necessary thing
to do (as have several other list managers here).

My complaints to Compuserve had gone unanswered.  One of my subscribers
took it upon himself to make an inquery on his own.  (I've asked him if
he still has the original of his query.)  I sent him a short writeup
of my view of the problem, which I will repeat here:

:> Basically, the problem is that Compuserve and Wow mis-use the return
:> addressing information that accompanies an email message.  Each
:> messgae has several addresses:
:>
:> From	Used as an envelope address, error messages should be sent here.