From: jms @ tardis . Tymnet . COM (Joe Smith)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 16:32:49 PDT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Forgive me if this is off-topic, but I am looking for information on how a
sysadmin can deal with cancelled users that were on various mailing lists.

Here is something that comes up all the time:
  An employee leaves the company, his account is cancelled, and then
  the postmaster of the local system starts getting notification of
  bounce messages.

The user had to some LISTSERV lists, some MAJORDOMO lists, and who knows
what else.  What does the sysadmin at the destination host do to stop
this unwanted mail?

It appears that LISTSERV demands that you re-activate the account long enough
to send an UNSUBSCRIBE request, assuming that the mail is not being forwarded
from some unknown alias.

In one case, I send mail to OWNER-listname and listname-REQUEST, got no
bounces, but mail continued to arrive.  After three months, I resent the
unsubscribe request to OWNER-listname, listname-REQUEST, listname-OUT and
listname-DISTRIBUTION.  Only then did the list owner respond.

Does anyone one this list have a nice cheat-sheet with the following?
1) How to recognize what type of list (listserv, majordomo, etc).
2) What steps are required for a third-party "unsubscribe" request.
	-Joe

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Reply from Compuserve