From: bill @ celestial . com (Bill Campbell)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 08:49:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: jms @ tardis . Tymnet . COM (Joe Smith)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>Forgive me if this is off-topic, but I am looking for information on how a
>sysadmin can deal with cancelled users that were on various mailing lists.
>
>Here is something that comes up all the time:
>  An employee leaves the company, his account is cancelled, and then
>  the postmaster of the local system starts getting notification of
>  bounce messages.

I've had some of our ISP customers ask this same question, and my
thought is to create a dead-user alias for deleted accounts, and
process that alias with a deliver script (or procmail if that suits
you better).  This script would look at the headers and send a message
back to the list manager saying that this account is no longer on the
systems in such a manner that the list manager will be sure that it's
really a bad account and not just another mailer glitch where
somebody's screwed up their alias file.  Once this message goes out, I
would add the list-manager/email-address into a database so that only
one messages goes out.  The script would then just drop the mail into
/dev/null for this and any subsequent messages.

So far, I haven't had time to do this, (or to ask this list if
somebody's already done something similar :-).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill @
 Celestial .

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"