Subject: Re: Reply from Compuserve
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 22:35:00 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

[Kjetil T. Homme]

|   It's a feature, especially on large lists with long distribution
|   delays or digests. That way, a dialogue can have a quicker pace
|   than the mailing list host can maintain.

[Eric Thomas]

|   Perhaps this made sense a few years ago (and it would still be a
|   matter of personal opinion), but we're in 1996. Today you can buy
|   a very fast Internet server for not much money at all.

It still makes sense when one of the correspondents are on the digest.

|   [impressive statistics from a P133 elided]
|
|   It's only a matter of time until most lists run on that kind of
|   system. I give it a year, perhaps two.

A good portion of the mailing lists out there are based on Sendmail
aliases, and I don't think that will change much. Speaking as a
postmaster, I don't care if the lists I host take an hour until they
reach the last recipient, and I won't install special software to fix
it. Unless Sendmail sees some serious optimization regarding long
recipient lists, you're too optimistic.

Kjetil T.