Subject: Re: Reply from Compuserve
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:54:12 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, James C. Armstrong wrote:

> I set my error-return address to a filter that attempts to perform
> some basic administrative functions, such as unsubscribing addresses
> that are returned as non-existant...

Listproc 6.0c handles some unsubscribing automatically.  Unfortunately, I
don't know all of the rules it invokes.  On occasion, a "live" user gets
the boot.  There are four filters built into listproc that I know of.
Listproc keeps a log of Message-Id: and a checksum of body text for the
most recent posts.  If it finds a match, the post is rejected and sent to
the listowner.  It looks at all text for a repeat of the Message-Id: line.
Listproc looks for suspicious subject lines containing words like "error".
It also filers any post where a command word begins the body of the text.
All filtered posts are sent to the listowner.  The only problem I've had
with this system is an occasional false match on the "body text"
checksums.  There's a patch for this which uses CRC instead of a
checksum... I've been too lazy to track it down.

> Since most of my subscribers are UK, could you please explain the
> "bounce-forevers"?

I don't have an example handy.  The last one I saw said something like:

   Your mail has not been successfully delivered in 567 hours...

I thought the standard was to attempt delivery for only four days.

- murr -