Subject: Re: Disabling "who" completely in Majordomo
From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn @ idyllmtn . com>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 10:49:58 -0700
To: Dean Ericksen <dean @ onenw . org>
Cc: "'Greatcircle Listowners'" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 09:34 AM 8/7/96 -0700, Dean Ericksen wrote:
>We're hosting a list that has requested that *nobody* have the ability to
>obtain the list's distribution names. It's already restricted such that
>only list members can run "who", but I don't see the configuration option
>to completely disable this feature. Ideas appreciated; thanks.

I couldn't find it either, so I just tweaked the 'majordomo' script
and removed 'who' altogether.  I couldn't see a reason to allow it,
given that too many people are quick to steal email addresses for
spamlists.

I just did something like this:  (renamed the original do_who to do_who_old)

[...]
sub do_who {
return 0;
}
[...]

The only person who might need to access the list's 'who' command is the
list owner, so I set up a web page for that -- see
http://www.idyllmtn.com/lists/
(not that any of you know the passwords, but hey).

--
  /\      /\  /\      /\          Kynn Bartlett / kynn @
 idyllmtn .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Reply from Compuserve