Subject: Re: bounced mail policy
From: bill @ celestial . com (Bill Campbell)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:44:05 -0700 (PDT)
To: lynda @ vaughan . fac . unbc . edu (Lynda Williams)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>What is the usual policy for dealing with addresses in a mailing list
>which bounce mail?  Try to send a message by hand?  Delete the address
>from the list after a grace period?

My policy depends on the type of bounce.  If it's an invalid user
message, I send this message to the postmaster at the postmaster:

  "Has this user been deleted from your system or is this a temporary
  mailer glitch?  This is mailing list traffic that has been successful
  in the past, and I will remove this entry from the list if it's no
  longer valid, but I've found that the majority of these bounces are
  temporary mailer configuration problems."

I have a similar message that I send for multiple users at a site.

My experience is that about 80% of the bounces are temporary problems.

For bad user accounts at delphi.com and ix.netcom.com, I just delete
them immediately since their policy is not to ``release information''
about their customers so I don't waste my time.

We frequently see problems immediately after someone subscribes in
which our mailer can't talk to theirs for some reason or other
(timeouts, SMTP errors, etc.), and I immediately delete these since
there seems to be something basically wrong.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill @
 Celestial .

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

From: Lynda Williams <lynda @ vaughan . fac . unbc . edu>
Next: Re: bounced mail policy
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Indexed By Thread Previous: bounced mail policy
From: Lynda Williams <lynda @ vaughan . fac . unbc . edu>
Next: Re: bounced mail policy
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>