Subject: Re: bounced mail policy
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:36:28 -0500
To: lynda @ vaughan . fac . unbc . edu
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 vaughan .
 fac .
 unbc .
 edu> writes:

LW> What is the usual policy for dealing with addresses in a mailing list
LW> which bounce mail?

That depends on the nature of your list and how nice you want to be.  With
a small list where I try to keep tabs on all of the members I do my best to
make certain that a user really is gone before I delete them, and I
generally ignore errors which I recognize as temporary (full mail spool or
bad mailer configuration at their site, etc.).  On a big list I just nuke
any address that bounces two days in a row.  I'm merciless for any address
that produces one of those useless bounces, like "Press F1 for help with
error codes".

Under no circumstances do I ever keep an address that bounces due to an
unreachable host, as I queue outbound mail for a week; if I can't get to
the host for over a week I don't bother trying.

After a while you will probably come to recognize sites that have transient
problems; netcom.com often will drop a whole batch of addresses as
nonexistent for no reason, and many sites run close to the wire when it
comes to disk space.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs @
 uh .