Subject: Re: More on expired accounts
From: John Lines <John . Lines @ aeat . co . uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 11:50:57 +0100
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chris Cook <scocc @
 thor .
 cf .
 ac .
 uk> wrote:
> Previously Bill Silvert wrote -
> > But neither he nor anyone else points out that one might inform the
> > users from time to time that they can set their own mail forwarding,
> > at least on many kinds of systems. I have found that many users, even
> > computer-savvy summer students are unaware that when they leave here
> > they can arrange to have all email forwarded to a new address
>
> Increasingly people who graduate or move to another institution do have e-mail
> addresses to forward onto.  User education is always the problem, the same as
> trying to encourage folk to leave lists whilst they're away for an extended
> period or when they leave.  Agreed, it is a point I didn't touch on but now
> it's raised, what about the further complications.  Say for six months we
> maintain a forwarding address for someone.  Ideally in that time they would
> have resubscribed or left existing lists plus told all of their friends their
> new address.  But we all know they don't do that.  What would be useful would
> be when Elvis @
 cardiff .
 ac .
 uk leaves, we repoint her address (didn't you know?)
> to Elvis @
 new-place .
 co .
 uk but in such a way that any subsequent messages in
> addition to forwarding, get an automatic response.  Something along the lines
> of
> 	Your message to Elvis @
 cardiff .
 ac .
 uk has been forwarded to
> 	Elvis @
 new-place .
 co .
 uk .
   Please update your address book for this
> 	person.

RFC821 section 3.2.  FORWARDING   says:

      There are some cases where the destination information in the
      <forward-path> is incorrect, but the receiver-SMTP knows the
      correct destination.  In such cases, one of the following replies
      should be used to allow the sender to contact the correct
      destination.

         251 User not local; will forward to <forward-path>

            This reply indicates that the receiver-SMTP knows the user's
            mailbox is on another host and indicates the correct
            forward-path to use in the future.  Note that either the
            host or user or both may be different.  The receiver takes
            responsibility for delivering the message.

         551 User not local; please try <forward-path>

            This reply indicates that the receiver-SMTP knows the user's
            mailbox is on another host and indicates the correct
            forward-path to use.  Note that either the host or user or
            both may be different.  The receiver refuses to accept mail
            for this user, and the sender must either redirect the mail
            according to the information provided or return an error
            response to the originating user.

Unfortunately this part of the RFC does not seem to be widely implemented.

John Lines                                    Internet: john .
 lines @
 aeat .
 co .
 uk
AEA Technology, 8 Harwell, Didcot
Oxfordshire, OX11 0RA, U.K.                   Phone:    +44 1235 432258
                                              FAX:      +44 1235 432339
             Please note that any views expressed here do not
             necessarily reflect the views or policies of AEA Technology.