Subject: Re: bounced mail policy
From: sullivan @ fa . disney . com
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:45:53 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I used to send a message to the postmaster in charge of the address that
bounced.  However, my big mailing list is over 3000 members and it just
got to be too much work.  Here's what I do:

"unknown user" messages, mark the address as inactive and note the date.
     I find these to be pretty accurate except for...

a bunch of "unknown user" messages from the same site, wait a few days and
     see if the problem clears up.

"transient" bounces, ignore

"message could not be delivered for (3 or more) days", mark the address
     as inactive and note the date

"message could not be delivered for (4 or so) hours", ignore

"unknown host" bounces, see if the problem keeps up for a week, then mark the
     address as inactive and note the date.

"quota" bounes, wait a few days and see if the problem clears up, then mark the
     address as inactive and note the date.
-
What I mean by "mark the address as inactive" is I basically comment out the
address so I have some record of it (I then move these to a file at a later
date).  By noting the date, if someone with an inactive address writes and
complains that they haven't gott mail, I can tell them why and when the problem
happens.
---
Michael Sullivan                     sullivan @
 fa .
 disney .
 com
Walt Disney Feature Animation        +1 818 560 8196 (voice)
500 S. Buena Vista St.               +1 818 560 8290 (fax)
Burbank, CA  91521-4870

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: More on expired accounts