Subject: Re: More on expired accounts
From: Mark Galbraith <mgg @ sol . tins . net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:14:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: John . Lines @ aeat . co . uk
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>>>>> "John" == John Lines <John .
 Lines @
 aeat .
 co .
 uk> writes:

John>          551 User not local; please try <forward-path>

John>             This reply indicates that the receiver-SMTP knows the user's
John>             mailbox is on another host and indicates the correct
John>             forward-path to use.  Note that either the host or user or
John>             both may be different.  The receiver refuses to accept mail
John>             for this user, and the sender must either redirect the mail
John>             according to the information provided or return an error
John>             response to the originating user.

John> Unfortunately this part of the RFC does not seem to be widely implemented.

Doesn't the REDIRECT feature of sendmail do just this?  I use that quite
a bit when people leave the company.  I've extended that feature a bit
more so that if someone leaves without leaving a forward, I can pass the
originator a message that the "User is no longer local; no forwarding
address available".

--
Mark Galbraith
Engineer, Internet Services