Subject: Re: bounced mail policy
From: Jim Osborn <jimo @ eskimo . com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, lynda @ vaughan . fac . unbc . edu

Lynda Williams <lynda @
 vaughan .
 fac .
 unbc .
 edu> asks:
>What is the usual policy for dealing with addresses in a mailing list
>which bounce mail?

I used to sort majordomo error messges into all sorts of categories,
and treat them all sepecially, much like several of the other
respondants, paying closest attention to Unknown users.

Now, with SmartList, I let the server auto-remove anyone who bounces
four times in a row, and my workload is infinitely less.  SmartList
seems pretty good at ignoring the very-transient "couldn't deliver
for four hours" kind of errors, and I've found that most of the
ones that get auto-removed really have some problem.  Sure, many of
them come back in a few days, or a few weeks, but we're all saved
the bandwidth while they get things straightened out.

I still keep a log of Unknown user errors, because it's handy for
from sites with, um, creative error messages, like Compuserve.
These I usually have to delete by hand, as SmartList isn't confident
enough to do its autodelete magic.

If I know a subscriber well enough, I'll let him know his ISP is
having trouble, by telephone if necessary.  Usually he has a new
ISP really soon.

Cheers,
jimo @
 eskimo .
 com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: More on expired accounts