Subject: Re: Majordomo Acknowledgements -- which list?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 19 Aug 1996 14:43:04 -0500
To: Bonnie <bonnie @ staff . prodigy . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-owner @ listserv . prodigy . com

 staff .
 prodigy .
 com> writes:

B> There was the following suggestion on the list-managers list, I'm
B> sending my comment to both that list and
B> majordomo-owners @
 greatcircle .
 com .

I don't think that there is such a list as
majordomo-owners @
 greatcircle .
 com .
   Perhaps you meant majordomo-users?  If
you want to discuss technical solutions to your problem, please reply to
majordomo-workers @
 greatcircle .
 com .
   In any case, this is solely a Majordomo
issue and is completely off-topic for list-managers.

B> In the same vein, I'd like to ask how to tell from Majordomo's response
B> which list an admin acknowledgement pertains to (see example below).

B> In order to survive the bouncing, the name of the list which the user
B> subscribes to should be in the body of the message, instead of a simple

If you're running majordomo on the -request address you'll probably get
this.  I'll see if I can't whip up a solution and get it into 1.94.

B> I'm not sure whether the original request came into
B> "majordomo @
 listserv .
 prodigy .
 com" or
B> "listname-request @
 listserv .
 prodigy .
 com," although we encourage the
B> latter.

If the request wen to majordomo it would have been an error because
the subscribe command requires a list name.

The solution to allowing bad addresses onto your lists is confirmed
subscribes.  This also solves the problem of spam and forged subscriptions.
Unfortunately you might not be able to run it because it requires the
people on the other end to do just a little more work.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs @
 uh .