Subject: Re: bounced mail policy
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:25:33 -0400
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>, ft @ amber . baltic . de
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 11:46 PM -0400 8/18/1996, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

>[Frank Tegtmeyer]
>
>|   Exploders should never bounce to the original list (except when
>|   the whole host is down). Everybody who sets up an exploder should
>|   use some piece of software (like resend of Majordomo) that
>|   protects the original list from local failures.
>
>Agreed, but resend is overkill, it suffices to add an owner-exploder
>alias (with sendmail, that is). Unfortunately, Sendmail honours the
>Errors-To header in addition to reporting to the owner.

	Errors-To has been deprecated for a long time, and comes
configured by default off.  You have to work at it to turn it back
on, and those that do, well, I wish I could say that they get what
they deserve.  Unfortunately, the problem is that they cause problems
for others.

	If everyone stopped using Errors-to, and everyone stopped
supporting it, there wouldn't be a problem.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .