From: Marko Hotti <mhotti @ lists . oulu . fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 17:52:01 +0300
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Fellow listmanagers and administrators,

This may not be the best forum for this kind of request but here it goes.
One of the oldest UNIX hosts at the University of Oulu (phoenix.oulu.fi)
with over 10,000 student accounts is about to be seized of it's existance.
All the students were informed of this well in advance but there are still
a big amount of subscriptions to this server with email addresses looking
like <login @
 phoenix .
 oulu .
 fi>.

All email to phoenix will be replied to using an autoreplier stating that
students' email addresses are in the form <login @
 raita .
 oulu .
 fi> from now on.
Judging by the vast amount of bounced email our postmaster receives the
addresses have not been changed.

In my opinion the most effective way of handling this is to completely
remove any email address to 'phoenix.oulu.fi'. There are quite a big amount
of closed/expired accounts as well so replacing 'phoenix' for 'raita' is not
a good idea.

In general, when a host is taken down, what is the best method to handle these
massive mailing list subscriptions??

With regards, Marko Hotti
System Administrator of 'lists.oulu.fi'
Computing Center, University of Oulu, FINLAND
Email: <mhotti @
 lists .
 oulu .
 fi>

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Need 'auto-responder' script