Subject: Re: PAML mail
From: Michael Nolan <nolan @ tssi . com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:15:37 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> > If we caused you any hassle, please accept our apologies... but, if you don't
> > want to get any requests for lists, why do you run a listserver?

Lists of lists are a way of advertising our lists, but of course such
advertising can be turned against the list (see below).  I'm a little less
sure why some/most list managers let their list of subscribers out.  I don't,
maily because I don't want to feed spammers or others building up lists of
e-mail addresses, regardless of their intentions.  (If someone wants to
subscribe to my lists and over time build up a list of posters and their
addresses, I can't do anything about that.)

> >From past experience of list abuse, the act of accessing many mailing lists
> with no intention of joining any of them is widely interpreted as a hostile
> gesture.

I recently had someone on AOL subscribe to my two (closed) lists, post a
note about a list he was trying to start, at best tangentially related to
the subject of my two lists, (two college sports teams) then unsubscribe,
all in the same day.  I'd call that hostile activity.
--
Mike Nolan
nolan @