Subject: Re: Dec's PAML
From: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 01:57:53 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>Jeez, some of you people are touchy.  If you make your subscription list
>info available for someone to get to, don't be surprised if someone gets to
>it.

I think the main fear of those who have expressed concern is that DEC is
planning a new service based upon either the subscriber lists or the content
of the lists itself.  Only DEC knows for sure what they are doing, but one
way or another, no matter what they do, it is going to upset some of the
list managers out there.  Personally, I think Alta Vista is the best search
engine out there, but I'm not so sure I would want it prowling through the
archives of my list.  I certainly wouldn't want it to get ahold of my
subscriber list.

List managers have gotten screwed big time in the past by advertisers and
pranksters doing things similar to what DEC did on their info gathering
trip.  DEC might have only good intentions, but I don't think you can blame
people list managers for being a little jumpy.  If DEC had had the common
decency to let list managers (and "list-managers") know what was happening
beforehand, they could have alleviated the entire problem.

-todd-

Indexed By Date Previous: RE: PAML mail