Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:12:27 -0500
To: CEO @ Citadel . Net, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:09 PM -0500 1/22/1997, Dr. Manion wrote:

>Juno, never gives me any problems but AOL is a constant source of
>problems. Their people subscribe and then immediately start posting
>messages to the list, "GET ME OFF THIS DAMN LIST!" etc..

	Just wait until they get bigger.  I guarantee that you'll have
precisely the same problems with AT&T WorldNet, WebTV, and anyone
else who gets really big.  It's just the nature of the beast of large
communities -- we don't have any more than our share of clueless
customers (not much, anyway ;-), it's just that because we've got
eight million customers, we've got a lot more total clueless people
than other places.

	If you want another comparison, look at crime statistics for
small towns of a few hundred or a few thousand people, and compare
that to the largest cities in the world.  They don't really have much
more crimes of most types per capita, but because they have a lot
more people, it seems that way.

>At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how to refuse any and all
>email from AOL. That should also eliminate about 99% of the spams we
>receive.

	If that's what you want.  We can make sure that no mail from your
site makes it into AOL, too.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .