Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: New fresh horror (was: Re: fresh horror from AOL)
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 03:06:20 -0500
To: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: knowlesb @ aol . net

At 1:36 AM -0500 2/2/1997, Stan Ryckman wrote:

>Well, here *is* a "fresh horror from AOL," and it has little or
>nothing to do with its users' cluefulness.
>
>Saturday my list just got three bounces from AOL for the *same* message
>to the *same* user (as shown by Message-ID and Received headers going
>into AOL via emin27.mail.aol.com).  The bounces came from:
>        MRIN21.MAIL.AOL.COM
>        MRIN19.MAIL.AOL.COM
>        MRIN20.MAIL.AOL.COM

	I don't believe these machines are in production yet.  If you're
getting bounces from them, my guess is that some machine on the
sending end is horribly misconfigured, or it pointing at a nameserver
that has a horribly corrupted cache (I've seen quite a few messages
flowing through or attempting to flow through machines that weren't
advertised anywhere and weren't ready or available for general
production, and from a variety of sources).

	If you send copies of all of the relevant mail messages (the
original plus the bounces from each of these machines) to my work
email address (KnowlesB @
 aol .
 net), I'll take a look at them tomorrow
and see what I can find.