Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: RE: Fresh horror from AOL
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ webdreams . com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 16:20:23 -0500 (EST)
To: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Cc: CEO @ Citadel . Net, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	If you want to help us in that process, please do.  If you have a
> problem with some part of the system right now, if you bring that to
> our attention in a reasonably professional manner, we'll do
> everything we can to help you get that problem solved (given the
> physical constraints of how many seconds there are in a minute, how
> many minutes there are in a day, how many days there are in a year,
> how fast our vendors can roll hardware out their doors, etc...).

I have to agree with Brad on this, from experience. I'm not affiliated
with AOL, but I am a list-manager for two systems with tens of thousands
of subscribers. Whenever I've had a problem with AOL, I've approached Brad
and he's been very helpful to me.

Brad, if anything, I want to let you know that there's at least one person
out there who appreciates you and the people in your department.

> >There are all kinds of excuses that AOL has for their actions. They
> >have the resources to first run "controlled tests" of their email
> >before providing it. Whatever problems their email or subscribers
> >cause is still their responsibility *not* the responsibility of the
> >listowners who are providing service to everyone.
>
> 	We do controlled tests.  In fact, from what I know of the sizes
> of the other largest systems on the 'net, our *test* systems are as
> large as or larger than the *production* systems of most of our
> competitors.

Also agreed. I know, as well as anybody else that deals with things on a
sysadmin level, there's only so much testing that can be done before the
test has to be put into testing on the public!

It's just a fact that when there's a bug in AOL it affects us so greatly
because we all have so many AOL subscribers. All this means is that they
(AOL) have to be more careful in bringing things to the public. Doesn't
mean they can't screw up once and awhile -- I know I have quite a few
times.

 | Brock Rozen | brozen @
 webdreams .
 com | http://www.webdreams.com/~brozen |